Frankfurt Airport Hilton Hotel



Last week I went on a business trip in Frankfurt. I got to stay at the Hilton hotel in Frankfurt airport.

I should provide some background before that sentence can mean something.

There are two major US hotel chain in Frankfurt airport - the Sheraton hotel and Hilton hotel. It is always such a treat to be able to stay at one of them before the return flight to the US. I get to not sweat through the airport after traveling 2 hours to the airport in an evening. And I get to enjoy the quintessential US style hotel room with plush bed sheets, towels and pillow, decent queen size bed. You can imagine those are not standard equipped in a typical European style hotels I typically stay at during business trip to Germany.

The past couple of years I only had the chance to stay at the Sheraton, which is great already. But Hilton, at least this one at Frankfurt airport, seem to be at a different level. The Hilton sits at the corner where the airport and train station connects. It has an extended tall glass ceiling where you had to pass a luxury watch store to get to. I always looked at those poshly dressed people who got on to the exclusive escalator heading to the Hilton hotel. I thought they must be working in high profile consultant jobs or some hot shot lawyers to be able to stay at the Hilton hotel.

Funny thing is, last week I got to stay at the Hilton hotel because Sheraton is booked out. Of course I soon realized I am staying at the Hilton Garden Inn rather than the "real" Hilton. I went to the Hilton bar anyways.  I don't typically go to a hotel bar by myself. But this time I feel like I deserve a drink. Almost like a reward that I actually made it here. All the way around the world, sitting at the bar at the Frankfurt hotel Hilton bar.

People likes exclusivity. In a way it's pitiful and illogical. I found myself deeply trapped.

Comments

Most Read Story